Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Product Vison vs. Reality

Shortly after starting my business, I was faced with the reality that what I had so grandly envisioned as my perfect product would instead be.... subpar. This was something really difficult for me to accept being a bona fide "perfectionist". There were many reasons why my product was turning out to be subpar, but they all came down to one, cost. I could have the "perfect" product but it would come at a price.

For me, the main obstacle I faced was dealing with standard and custom material. In an ideal world, I would have the exact colour of my preference and the exact dimensions. But, in order to have exactly what I wanted I would need to make a custom order, which would mean ponying up thousands of dollars worth of investment, all for an untested product. Needless to say, I sacrificed on some of my product specs in order to make my business viable. It was definitely something I had to overcome mentally as I've realized in business nothing is ever "perfect". Everything is a series of give and take. And, I needed to be able to realized which product specs were must haves and which were nice-t0-haves.

No comments:

Post a Comment